Tips for International Travel
Updated: Jun 21, 2018
Some travel mishaps can be avoided and some of them are just a part of traveling. You simply cannot plan for everything. However, keeping a few important things in mind will make your travels much easier. Follow these easy tips to make your international travel experience a pleasure.
1. Make a copy of your passport. Make sure its the page that has your photo. Or you can take a photo of it on your cell phone. This way if it gets lost or misplaced you will have a copy to obtain a new one from the consulate.
2. Call your credit card company and let them know the dates you will be out of the country, and where you will be traveling to.
3. Arrive to the airport 2 - 2 1/2 hours prior to departure.
4. Use the in-room safe! Lock all valuables including your passport in the safe when you are not in your room.
5. When staying at an All-inclusive resort, mind the dress codes. In most ala carte restaurants they require "casual elegance" dress. This means men should wear long pants. No flip flops. Sundresses and sandals are acceptable for women.
6. Invest in an insulated travel mug for the beach or pool if you are traveling to an all-inclusive. It keeps your drinks colder longer and reduces trips to the bar!
7. Beware of "Timeshare" reps at the airport and at your resort. Just say, "NO". They promise a 45 min presentation which turns into a full on 2-3 hour sales pitch.
8. Bring plenty of dollar bills for tipping! It's not a requirement, but certainly appreciated by the staff. Plus you will notice an elevated level of service when you tip!
9. Relax and Enjoy! You are on vacation!